6.19.2008

On To Bigger Things!


June was kicked off with new foods and a great new back problem!  


I started Gavin off with avocados; something I've read is a great starter food--not so much for Master Gavin!  We stuck through a week of it though, but he didn't eat much in a sitting.  For those that don't know, I have decided to make my own baby food with Gavin; something I didn't do, nor did I really have much knowledge of, with Averie.  On Monday, June 2, we began our journey into the world of flavor!  

On June 7, we started sweet potatoes, and it was then I realized how much of a washout the avocados were!  Does he ever love sweet potatoes!  We stayed on those for over a week because mama made A LOT!  Just recently, on June 18, we started carrots, and same success as the sweet potatoes... this is pretty fun!  He gets so excited!

On June 2, I also decided to visit the doctor regarding my back discomfort.  I got an adjustment and back home I went.  With no relief at all, I made another appointment for Monday, June 9, and we did x-rays.  I got a stunner; I have spina bifida!  What!!  I thought this was something you find out at birth!  Come to find out, there are varying degrees of the birth defect, and mine was Spina Bifida Occulta, the most non-threatening form.   In two of my vertebrae, L5 and S1, they are not completely formed, and do not enclose my spinal cord causing me lots 'o' pain when it flares.  This was likely aggravated by pregnancy as I have never had a back problem before now except during pregnancy.  I am now armed with exercises targeting my core, and hope to build up enough strength to keep the pain to a minimum from now on.  

0 kudos: